2019 12 Metre World Championship
- The 2019 12 Metre World Championship will be held in Newport, R.I. July 8-13, 2019. Ida Lewis Yacht Club will host of the event.
- Ida Lewis Yacht Club, located in Newport, R.I., has been host to many World and National Championships Regattas over its 90-year history and has a long association with the 12 Metre Class, beginning in 1958 when the Twelves were first selected for the America’s Cup. It ran the race for yachts not qualifying for the America’s Cup starting in 1964 and the Challenger Series for the America’s Cup from 1977 to 1983. In recent years, Ida Lewis Yacht Club has served as the Organizing Authority and host for the 12 Metre North American Championship Regatta.
- Click to view list of expected Championship Contenders
WAYPOINTS SERIES Overview
- Mission Statement: The ROAD TO THE WORLDS WAYPOINTS SERIES is designed to build participation and competition among the 12 Metre yachts around the world and encourage present and prospective 12 Metre owners and charterers to compete in the 12 Metre World Championship Regatta in 2019 and in coming years.
- The WAYPOINTS SERIES is an international 12 Metre yacht competition that started in May of 2017 and culminates with the Pre-Worlds Regatta from July 6-7 in Newport, R.I. It is followed by the 2019 12 Metre World Championship, scheduled for Newport, R.I. from July 8-13.
- The world-wide competition is organized by the International Twelve Metre Association (ITMA) and features the fabled 12 Metre yacht racing class, many of sailing’s best athletes, and memorable regatta parties at premier yacht racing venues across the globe.
- Teams racing at specific WAYPOINTS SERIES regattas in Northern Europe, Southern Europe and the Americas are awarded points for both their participation and performance. At the culmination of this 28-regatta series, the 12 Metre team with the greatest number of points overall will be awarded the ROAD TO THE WORLDS WAYPOINTS Trophy.
- All certificated and registered 12 Metre yachts are eligible to compete for points in WAYPOINTS SERIES regattas.
- The ROAD TO THE WORLDS WAYPOINTS SERIES culminates in 2019 with four events in Newport, R.I., concluding with the 2019 12 Metre Pre-Worlds Regatta.
WAYPOINTS SERIES Scoring System:
- The scoring system is based on a graduated scale that awards five points to each boat for participation in all the WAYPOINTS SERIES events held during 2017 and 2018, with 10 points per boat per event awarded for participation in the 2019 events. Performance points equal to one point per boat beaten by division (based on the number of starters in the first race of an event) will be awarded for the events held in 2017 and 2018; and two points for the events held in 2019.
- The boat with the highest number of accumulated points as of the end of the 2019 Pre-Worlds Regatta will be awarded the ROAD TO THE WORLDS WAYPOINTS Trophy.
WAYPOINTS SERIES Events:
N. Europe: (1) Kiel Classic (2) Dyvig/Glucksburg (3) Robbe & Berking European Championship (4) Wessel & Vett Metre Cup
S. Europe: (1) Les Voiles de Antibes (2) Argentario Sailing Week (3) Regates Royales de Cannes (4) Les Voiles de San Tropez
Americas: (1) METREFEST Newport /NYYC Annual (2) Newport 12 Metre Trophy (3) Edgartown YC 12 Metre (4) North American Championship
N. Europe: (1) Robbe & Berking Sterling Cup (2) Kiel 12 Metre Trophy (3) German Classics 12 Metre Cup (4) Wessel & Vett Metre Cup
S. Europe: (1) Les Voiles de Antibes (2) Argentario Sailing Week (3) Regates Royales de Cannes (4) Les Voiles de St. Tropez
Americas: (1) NYYC Annual Regatta (2) Newport 12 Metre Trophy (3) Edgartown YC 12 Metre Regatta (4) North American Championship
(1) NYYC 165th Annual Regatta: June 14-16, 2019
(2) Edgartown YC 12 Metre Regatta: June 21-23, 2019
(3) Newport 12 Metre Trophy Regatta: June 29-30, 2019
(4) Pre-Worlds hosted by Sail Newport: July 6-7, 2019
2019 12 Metre Jubilee
The New York Yacht Club has invited the 12 Metre Class to participate in the New York Yacht Club’s 175th Anniversary Regatta July 15-20, 2019, where class members will compete in the “12 Metre Jubilee” for a series of historic 12 Metre Trophies. Click for more information at NYYC.org