2019 12mR Racing Schedule:
June 14-16: New York Yacht Club’s 165th Annual Regatta
June 21-23: Edgartown Yacht Club’s 12mR Invitational Regatta
June 29-30: Ida Lewis Yacht Club’s Newport Trophy Regatta
July 6-7: Pre-Worlds / Sail Newport Regatta / Road to the Worlds Finals
July 8-13: 12mR World Championship hosted by Ida Lewis Yacht Club
July 15-20: 12mR Jubilee at New York Yacht Club’s 175th Anniversary Regatta
PRE- WORLDS / WAYPOINTS EVENTS:
We are anticipating that many of the boats will arrive in Newport by the 1st of June. That being the case, there are a number of local and regional 12mR and open regattas in the month leading up to the Worlds. These include the following WAYPOINTS events:
- New York Yacht Club’s 165th Annual Regatta – June 14-16
- An open regatta that the America’s 12mR fleet typically participates in.
- The NYYC usually gives the 12mR’s starts by division.
- Boats wishing to participate in the Annual Regatta will need consult NYYC’s web site, and register when the event page becomes active.
- Edgartown YC 12mR Regatta -June 21-23 (tentative)
- Edgartown the famous resort seaport located on Martha’s Vineyard Island.
- Edgartown is approximately a 45 NM sail from Newport. EYC has hosted a 12mR regatta for many years. Their hospitality is great and they have good racing.
- EYC provide dockage as part of their regatta fees.
- Boats wishing to participate in the EYC event can make arrangements through the 12mR Americas Fleet.
- Ida Lewis Yacht Club’s Newport Trophy Regatta -June 29-30
- A two day, 12mR only event on the Worlds race courses.
- Cocktail reception at Ida Lewis YC.
- Pre Registration will be set up on the Worlds Web site.
- Pre Worlds hosted by Sail Newport – July 6-7
- Two day event
- Run by the Ida Lewis Worlds RC
- Part of the Sail Newport Regatta
- Pre-Registration will be set up on the World’s Web site.
POST- WORLDS EVENTS:
Immediately following the World Championship, the New York Yacht Club is hosting their 175th Anniversary Regatta and the 12mR Jubilee, July 15-20. All 12mR Yacht have been invited to participate. For additional details and registration, please refer to the New York Yacht Club’s web site.
Please be aware that while dockage at Ft. Adams for the Worlds will be part of the registration package, dockage for the NYYC 175th is on a first come basis and must be booked directly with Sail Newport. Sail Newport recommends that if you want to remain at Ft. Adams for the 175th, you book your space sooner rather than later.
It is our understanding that many of the boats will be returning to Europe immediately after the NYYC’s 175th Regatta. However, for those of you considering staying longer, I want to assure you that if you do you will have plenty of opportunity to sail, cruise and race in and around New England in general and Newport in particular
The Panerai Classic Yacht Challenge offers an opportunity to race through out August, beginning in the fabled sailing town of Marblehead, MA in the Corinthian Classic. That is followed a week later by two events on Nantucket Island, the two day Nantucket Regatta and the famous one day Opera House Cup (the US Traditional Division boats typically participate). One week later the Classic yachting fleet returns to Narragansett Bay for the two day Herreshoff Classic Yacht Regatta in Bristol, RI,, followed immediately by the Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta headquartered at the IYRS School of Technology & Trades in downtown Newport.
In addition to the Classic Yacht circuit, there are a number of middle distance race events, including the Ida Lewis Distance Race (‘ILDR”) August 16 & 17. The ILDR is a 150 NM overnight race that starts and finishes off of Ida Lewis Yacht Club.
In September there are a number of local short distance races (18 milers)and a number of multiple weekend race series in Long Island Sound e.g. American Yacht Club Fall Series.